Thursday, October 2, 2008

Ponies!

I know it’s been a while, world. I’ve been uninspired to write. I still sort of am. And though we learned from my childhood diary that I am predisposed to writing down every single thing that I do, I don’t consider that even remotely interesting. I was g-chatting with my roommate, Molly, yesterday, and mentioned that I had received a one-word comment on my previous blog urging me to “UPDATE!!” I told her that I didn’t think I’d done anything lately that anyone cared about. Molly, in her infinite wisdom, told me, “People care about anything if you end it with pictures of ponies with drawn-on mustaches.” Fair enough.

I determined yesterday that I might be obsessed with poker. I was counting out a dozen of something for a mailing at work, and in place of “Eleven,” I said, “Jack”. Yipes! I can't wait until someone asks me what time it is, and I tell them "Jack-thirty," making them think that I'm an alcoholic. "No, no," I'll protest, chuckling. "Not Jack Daniels! A jack! Like, of diamonds? Oh, that's funny... You thought? No, I'm not obsessed with alcohol. I'm obsessed with... gambling. Oh... That's not much better, is it? Er, I'd better go. I have a meeting at Queen. I mean, twelve! Twelve O'clock! Oh, man..."

Speaking of games, I downloaded one from Popcap about a year ago called Peggle. You shoot a ball-bearing through some pegs, and earn points, blah, blah, blah. It’s not all that fun, but I got super-obsessed with it. This is because there’s a challenge mode where they give you a stamp of achievement after you have beat each level. There was one level I just couldn’t beat, and it made me CRAZY. I spent hours on it, having no fun whatsoever in the process. It was like a second job. (Or third, if you count improv.) Last week, I finally beat it. I yelled. Molly yelled. I shut my laptop with a triumphant, but ginger, click. Finally. I don’t have to play that awful game anymore. Then on Tuesday, a postcard came in the mail. “Thanks for ordering Peggle!” it said. “Now introducing our new version, 'Peggle Nights!'" I wonder if it’s a coincidence and it really just came out, or if the program sends a little alert to the people at Popcap to tell them you’ve completed everything you could on the existing game. It’s not online, mind you, it’s a download. Would they be so devious? Who is against me and my productivity? Is it Popcap? Or the world?

I haven’t ordered it, but I also haven’t thrown the postcard away. In fact, I used it to make a note of when High School Musical 3 is being released in theaters.

That’s right.

Speaking of… Cheesy stuff? Embarrassing things that I love? Movies with a cult following that are about love eschewing the social mores of the class system? I’m going to see Dirty Dancing tonight. The live stage musical event. My dress, jacket, and accessories are hanging in my cubicle right now on my basketball hoop. (As a side note, I rarely do it, but when I do set out clothes to wear , I can't just stack them in a neat, folded pile. It has to look like someone melted out of them. Or that I could leap into them in one single, confident bound. Or, perhaps, like I have set them out for someone who is unaccustomed to dressing herself, and must be shown where each item belongs. Clearly, the options are endless, and keep the imagination whirring long into the night. Though, that's probably just because I keep getting startled awake by the fleshless, but meticulously dressed body lurking ominously by my bed. )

And, yes. I do have a basketball hoop in my cubicle.

My buddy Jason bought Molly and me each two tickets to the show for our birthdays. We are bringing him and our friend Cassie as our guests. I anticipate magic. Campy, delicious, dance magic.
Can't wait!



5 comments:

Jason said...

And magic you received. Oh yes!

H is for hOWIE said...

Molly is brilliant! Yahoo for TTTS:ST!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I too love poker and gambling but have never thought of a Jack as an 11. Or a quenn as a 12. That's crazy.

Sarah said...

Onies! With mustaches. Its true, it works. Also.... you are a kind of maybe funnyish person, so your spin when writing also makes it amusing. You haven't lost your touch.

Shogan said...

EXTREME FEVER!!!!

This is Scott Hogan

Peggle is Awesome