Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Trips!

Suppose you came across a blog that was created because the author wished people would update their blogs more. You would think that that person would update her blog frequently, right? To quench her insatiable thirst for bloggery? Wrong-o!

But remember, I never made any grand sweeping claims about updating every day. Or, for that matter, ever again.

I’ve been busy! The week after my last post, I went to Wisconsin with pH for the Milwaukee Improv Festival, then to Oakbrook for three days for my company’s All-Staff Conference, then to Michigan with Molly, Laura and Kristen to stay at the Hall family cabin on Lake Michigan.


Highlights from my trip to Milwaukee:

- Our pHamily the Musical show was lots of fun, and the audience really seemed to enjoy it.
- My shoe flew off during the show and almost beaned our music director, Dan.
- There were snacks and beer backstage. I love free food.
- We went to Safe House, an awesome spy-themed bar. There are secret passages and lots of little puzzle-type things, and you have to know the password to get in. If you don’t, you have to perform some sort of "embarrassing" task. Being told to act like penguins may mortify your average bar-goer, but the lady had to yell at us to stop squawking and waddling around so that she could swing open the bookshelf to reveal a hidden entrance. Super fun. Jason, Dan and I got trapped in a secret passage, and had to call Alaina on her cell to come let us out.



Highlights from my All-Staff conference:

- My boss dressed up as a penguin. (Perhaps he was a spy?) Then he danced around.
- I was forced to dance alone in front of 50+ people. With no music. Twice. Once dressed as an old lady, and once waving a jump rope. The people I support know I have no shame, and exploit this.
- I accidentally told my waitress, "Great buns," referring to bread rolls. She was really mean to me after that.
- The following conversation occurred with a lady that I support in the administrative sense, but never see, as she has a home office. She has recently been diagnosed with diabetes, and is trying to lose weight.

LADY: Is this ham or turkey? I can't eat ham.
ME: Oh, yeah. I forgot you're Muslim now.
LADY: I'm not Muslim.
ME: Um. I know.
LADY: Oh. You're funny.


Highlights from my trip to Michigan:

- We got a tour of the Threadless office from Kristen when we picked her up. Pretty effing amazing. They have two ping pong tables, a photo booth, and Buck Hunter. There’s a bunch of other awesome stuff too.
- We all discovered a common love for Legally Blonde: The Musical.
- We pretended that we were forty-somethings on the annual girls’ getaway, and did bits about our husbands and kids back home. I could never remember how many kids I had. That part wasn’t a bit – I just kept forgetting what I’d decided…
- We messed with a dude that came to hit on us on the beach. It turned out that he was high on mescaline. I became fascinated with rehabilitating him through the powers of sarcasm. I think I really got somewhere with him...
- Molly’s parents were there, and are totally awesome. We even had a goody basket on each of our beds when we got there. Adorable.
- At some point, each of us had a green bug in her hair.


I just unpacked from all three trips.

5 comments:

JF said...

Yay! Another update. Sounds like your co-workers are a little slow on the uptake.

a. said...

Man, Milwaukee must have taken you FOREVER to unpack from, my tunks are still locked at the foot of my bed...I just haven't had the time to devote to that yet :)
-alaina

Unknown said...

A Tristan Tanner blog? This is great news. Holy crow, GREAT news. Update more!!! (You know you will hate yourself if you don't.)

a. said...

HOLY CROW!!

tristan said...

Alaina found a review of the Milwaukee pHamily show on expressmilwaukee.com!

"The Chicago improv comedy group ended the second program of the evening with an improvised musical with a generous number of topics drawn from the audience. Unlike much of the improv on the festival this season, the suggestions drawn from the audience for pH seemed to be pretty integral to the direction of the performance. The talent here fused together a traditional American musical comedy about a boring man and the bizarre family that surrounds him. Jason Geis was interesting as the straight man in the center of the insanity with Tristan Tanner putting in an inspired performance as his parenthetically homicidal daughter who refuses to take her mittens off."